Brandi has wide-ranging experience successfully litigating large, complex cases, from defending a state university against a data-breach class action to prosecuting fraud, contract, and fiduciary-duty claims related to the financing of major real estate development projects. She is a passionate advocate, driven to achieve outstanding results for her clients through creative problem solving and collaboration. Brandi has resolved disputes in many different forums, – including federal and state trial and appellate courts, administrative agencies, and in arbitration.
Prior to joining Savitt Bruce & Willey, Brandi practiced law in Hawaii at Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher. Brandi graduated from Boston College Law School where she was a member of the 2009 European Law Moot Court team. At the European Law Moot Court Competition in Naples, Italy, she argued in English and French to advance with her team as regional semi-finalists.
Outside the office, Brandi enjoys outdoor adventures with her husband and their Samoyed. From hiking and backpacking to snowboarding to canoeing, she is inspired by Tolkien’s words, “Not all those who wander are lost” – although she now also carries a compass.
Areas of Practice
- Contracts and Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Governance Disputes
- Employment Litigation
- Financial and Banking Litigation
- Government Defense
- Real Estate Litigation
Prior Professional Experience
- Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher, Honolulu HI, 2009-2015
Vandeveer, et al. v. American Savings Bank. Defended federal savings and loan association against tort, statutory, and equitable claims in putative class action involving overdraft fees and related disclosure issues; filed pre-certification dispositive motion based on federal preemption; obtained favorable settlement while federal preemption appeal was pending.
Gross, et al. v. University of Hawaii, et al.; University of Hawaii v. Lexington Insurance Company. Defended state university system against putative class action regarding alleged data breaches; favorable settlement obtained after filing motion to dismiss; subsequently litigated claims on behalf of state university system against insurer for related coverage; favorable settlement obtained prior to any discovery.
Pasion v. County of Kauai, et al. Represented appointed public official facing retaliation for whistle-blower activities and prosecuted subsequent related employment claims; obtained favorable settlement.
Charles et al. v. Kapalua Bay, LLC, et al. Represented approximately forty purchasers of fractional ownership interests in a luxury development prosecuting consumer protection, tort, statutory, and equitable claims against developer, multinational hotel company, and related entities.
Complex Multiparty Real Estate and Finance Litigation. Defended claims against personal guaranty of multi-million dollar revolving construction loan; developed and prosecuted claims for corporate fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract involving approximately $40 million of debt, mezzanine, and equity financed real estate projects; obtained favorable settlement for individual and developer entity clients.
Health Care Industry Litigation. Prosecuted claims for breach of contract, breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and equitable relief regarding exclusivity clause in PPO contract; obtained favorable settlement.
Professional Recognition & Honors
- Named to Washington Rising Stars, 2016-2017
- Named to Hawaii Rising Stars, 2014, 2015
Professional Associations & Leadership
- Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington
- Federal Bar Association, Young Lawyers Delegate, Hawaii Chapter (2011-2012)
Civic & Community Leadership
- Alexander Hamilton Scholars (formerly the Alexander Hamilton Friends Association)
- Board of Directors, 2015-2016
Publications & Presentations
- Beyond Oso: Understanding, Avoiding, and Mitigating Spoliation Issues, Landslides in Washington CLE Conference, Law Seminars International, presenter, 2017
- Michele L. Stephen, Brandi B. Balanda, & Ryan Solomon, Provisional Remedies: Washington, Practical Law, http://us.practicallaw.com/w-000-6380
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 2009
- European Law Moot Court Team, Regional Semi-Finalist (Naples, Italy)
- University of Washington, B.A., International Studies, 2004
- Phi Beta Kappa
- United States District Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- United States District Court, District of Hawaii