Coby has successfully represented both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of matters, including commercial and contract cases, employment disputes, real estate matters, and disputes involving securities and financial services. He has tried dozens of jury trials to verdict and has also represented clients in appeals. In addition, he has substantial experience with arbitrations and other alternative dispute resolution techniques and regularly advises clients on litigation risks.
Before joining Savitt Bruce & Willey, Coby managed the litigation and employment legal services for the largest private early childhood education company in the United States, KinderCare Education. While there, Coby also concurrently obtained an MBA with Honors from the University of Washington. This corporate background and education gives Coby a unique perspective to assist companies with finding resolutions to their disputes that make business sense. Coby began his career as a litigator with Perkins Coie in Seattle, and also practiced with his own firm, McDougald & Cohen. He is a graduate of New York University School of Law.
Before Coby had two daughters, he skied and sailed regularly. Nowadays, he just cherishes his time with the girls and his wonderful wife, Miriam, along with their two sweet labs (and periodically other briefly fostered critters). Coby regularly commutes to work on his bike, so please forgive his somewhat grizzled look.
Areas of Practice
- Contracts and Commercial Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Financial and Banking Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Risk Management and Litigation Avoidance
Prior Professional Experience
- ReedHein & Associates, LLC, Seattle, WA, General Counsel, 2016-2017
- KinderCare Education LLC, Portland, OR, 2011-2016
- Assistant General Counsel – Litigation & Employment, 2011-2016
- McDougald & Cohen, P.S., Seattle, WA, Partner, 2006-2011
- King County Prosecutor’s Office, Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, 2004-2006
- Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, WA, 2000-2004
- Sonnenschein, Nath & Rosenthal, San Francisco, CA, 1999-2000
KeyBank v. Moses Lake Industries. Prosecuted contract claims concerning multi-million dollar interest rate swap agreements and related master agreements; obtained favorable settlement.
Multi-Financial Securities Corporation v. Banc of America Securities. Prosecuted indemnification, contribution, and negligence claims concerning multi-million dollar hedge fund losses; obtained favorable settlement after lengthy partial arbitration proceedings demonstrated strength of claims.
Jarvis v. K2, Inc. Defended appeal of claim regarding statutory copyright infringement and subsequent hearings in trial court; limited liability to additional award of nominal damages only.
Salgado v. KinderCare Education. Managed case strategy in response to a novel California wage-and-hour class action alleging that payments made via pay cards violated California law; ultimately obtained dismissal for failure to state a claim.
Cats v. Keller Williams Realty. Prosecuted contract and related claims resulting from breach of lease agreement and abandonment of property during course of sale of property, followed by re-letting of the same space with the new owner; obtained jury verdict and judgment in favor of landlord for all damages sought.
Dibbs & Plane Picture Co. v. The Franklin Mint. Prosecuted copyright claims concerning registered pictures that had been used without license to create derivative works; obtained favorable settlement.
Cats v. NextAlarm. Prosecuted securities claims arising from ownership dispute between brothers; obtained favorable settlement.
Contract, Employment, Real Estate, and Liability Matters. As in-house counsel for KinderCare Education, managed an array of commercial, employment, real estate, and liability matters, including guiding the case strategy of each and representing the company at mediations.
Financial Services Claims. Defended numerous consumer claims against Registered Investment Advisors, banks, broker-dealers, and brokers, including claims of misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, negligence, and violation of industry rules.
Professional Associations & Leadership
- Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington
- Washington State Bar Association
Civic & Community Leadership
- Girls Inc. of the Pacific Northwest
- Member-at-Large, 2012-present
- Anti-Defamation League
- Executive Committee, 2003-2005
- Board Member of the Northwest Regional Board, 2000-2005
- University of Washington Foster School of Business, M.B.A. with Honors, 2016
- 2015 Discretionary Scholarship Award
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1999
- Moot Court Board, Chairperson
- Order of Barristers
- University of California at Berkeley, B.A. with honors, 1996
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- United States District Court, Northern District of California