Jacob is an experienced and efficient litigator who has successfully represented plaintiffs and defendants in complex and high-stakes cases in federal and state courts and arbitral proceedings. He has also resolved narrower disputes requiring the careful evaluation of the uncertainties, costs, and benefits of litigation. Jacob has experience in all stages of litigation in a diverse mix of disputes involving intellectual property, restrictive covenants, the purchase and sale of companies, and commercial leases, among other things.
Jacob spent the first six years of his legal career in New York, first with Sullivan & Cromwell, where he represented financial institutions, and then with Davis & Gilbert, where he represented companies of all sizes, as well as individuals (size not an issue). Jacob also served as law clerk to the Honorable Sandra Lynch, then chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, in Boston. Jacob graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School, where he was an editor of the Harvard Law Review.
In his free time, Jacob enjoys camping and hiking, literary fiction, and arguing about the relative merits of “prestige” TV dramas. A native of the Puget Sound area, Jacob is happy to be home in the Pacific Northwest, although he misses New York’s bagels.
Areas of Practice
- Contracts and Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Governance Disputes
- Employment Litigation
- Financial and Banking Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Securities Litigation
Prior Professional Experience
- Davis & Gilbert LLP, New York City NY, 2015-2018
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP, New York City NY, 2012-2015
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Sandra Lynch, Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, Boston MA, 2011-2012
Residential Mortgage Backed Securities Litigation for Barclays Capital Inc. Defended global investment bank and related entities in lawsuits and investigations concerning alleged securities law violations, breach of contract, and fraud; developed key arguments regarding securities, fraud, statutes of limitations/repose, personal jurisdiction, and standing; obtained favorable settlement.
The Beanstalk Group, LLC v. London Luxury LLC. Prosecuted breach of contract and related claims on behalf of licensor to obtain improperly calculated and withheld royalty payments; obtained favorable settlement during discovery.
Vioni v. Providence Investment Management LLC & Russell Jeffrey. Defended hedge fund manager and its principal against quantum meruit claim for damages brought by “finder”; dramatically reduced possible damages before trial, then obtained directed verdict for defendants after federal jury trial, and defended judgment on appeal.
55 Washington Street LLC & Brooklake Associates LLC v. Clear Channel Outdoor Inc. Defended outdoor advertising company against claims brought by building owner alleging improper lease terminations for billboards that ran afoul of city regulations; obtained favorable settlement while case was on appeal from summary judgment.
BP 399 Park Avenue LLC v. Pret A Manger (USA) Limited & Pret 399 Park, Inc. Defended owner of international chain of sandwich shops against commercial landlord’s claims asserting chain subsidiary’s breach of lease and seeking to pierce the corporate veil to recover damages from the chain’s owner; obtained favorable summary judgment; case favorably settled after appellate ruling substantially upholding summary judgment.
Professional Associations & Leadership
- Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
Civic & Community Leadership
- Pro bono volunteer with King County Bar Association Housing Justice Project
- Harvard Law School, J.D. magna cum laude, 2011
- Harvard Law Review, 2009-2011
- Pacific Lutheran University, B.A. summa cum laude, 2005
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York