Miles has a seventeen-year track record of successfully litigating and resolving a wide range of disputes in federal and state courts, in arbitration, through mediation, and as a mediator himself. Miles achieves favorable outcomes for clients by combining a practical, common-sense approach with finely honed legal skills, including the ability to cut quickly to the heart of a case, to make strategic use of the litigation tools available, and to advocate persuasively by telling a compelling story.
Miles not only knows the rules governing lawsuits but has helped write them, both as co-chair of the Local Rules Committee for the Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington and as a member of the Trust and Estate Litigation Committee of the WSBA’s Real Property Probate and Trust section.
He understands trial practice and dispute resolution from the inside out. Both a litigator and a former law clerk, Miles has tried cases and seen them tried, and decided, from the bench; likewise, Miles has both represented clients in mediation and served as a mediator for many years.
Before joining Savitt Bruce & Willey, Miles practiced with Davis Wright Tremaine, Riddell Williams, and served as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney in the Civil Division of the King County Prosecutor’s office. Miles also was law clerk to Judge Carolyn Dimmick, then Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington. He is a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School, magna cum laude.
Miles was born and raised in Seattle and lives here still, in the Wallingford neighborhood. He is married and has two teenagers, who both attend local Waldorf schools. Miles and his family enjoy skiing, sailing, and backpacking. Miles also is an avid distance runner, having run many ultra marathons, including three 50-mile races.
Areas of Practice
- Contracts and Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Governance Disputes
- Employment Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Risk Management and Litigation Avoidance
- Real Estate Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- Trust and Estate Litigation
Prior Professional Experience
- Law Offices of Miles A. Yanick PC, Seattle WA, Principal, 2005-2006
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, Seattle WA, 2001-2005
- McNaul Ebel Nawrot & Helgren PLLC, Seattle WA, 2000-2001
- King County Prosecutor’s Office, Civil Division, Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, 1999-2000
- Riddell Williams PS, Seattle WA, 1997-1999
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Carolyn Dimmick, United States District Court, Western District of Washington, 1996-1997
Lai v. Alfa Enterprises Inc. Defended claims against seller of business for breach of contract, conversion and fraud, and prosecuted counterclaims for breach of contract; obtained defense verdict on claims against client and verdict for client on counterclaims at jury trial.
Moomjy v. HQ Sustainable Maritime Inc., et al. Defended class action against public offering underwriters alleging claims under sections 11 and 12 of Securities Act; brought motion to dismiss and then obtained favorable settlement dismissing all claims against clients without any payment on claims.
Alliance Packaging v. Altivity Packaging, et al. Prosecuted patent infringement claims relating to retail product packaging; prevailed at Markman hearing, defeated defendant’s summary judgment motions and prevailed on motions for partial summary judgment and motions dismissing counterclaims, and then obtained favorable settlement.
In Re Estate of Steiner. Represented administrator of large, complex estate in multiple litigation matters, including arbitration of business valuation dispute; obtained award in favor of estate, and favorable settlement in contract disputes with former business partners.
Confidential Arbitration. Prosecuted claims and defended counterclaims in international arbitration relating to termination of exclusive dealing arrangements, non-competition agreement, and use of confidential/proprietary information; secured continuing preliminary injunction enforcing non-competition agreement and prohibiting use of confidential information, and then favorable settlement.
In Re Estate of Sherk. Defended claims for accounting and seeking removal of personal representative of estate; developed and asserted claims against third-party investment advisors and against estate and then obtained favorable settlement.
Bert v. Sears Holdings. Defended consumer class action asserting claims under Consumer Protection Act relating to product warranties; obtained favorable settlement after submission of motion for summary judgment.
Edenholm v. Flytrap Network Security, Inc. Defended claims by former key employee for breach of compensation agreement and violation of wage and hour laws; obtained dismissal of key claims by summary judgment and affirmance of dismissal on appeal.
Muoneke v. Mercer Villa Partners LLC. Prosecution of claims arising from condominium conversion project for violations of Washington Securities Act, breach of contract and fraud; prevailed on motion for summary judgment.
ISSI Business Solutions, Inc. v. Anderson. Prosecuted claims against manager of limited liability company for breach of contract, accounting, and business-valuation issues; obtained partial summary judgment dismissing defenses and then favorable settlement.
USA Tire v. Torque Transport, et al. Defended claims for conversion of mining equipment and prosecuted cross-claims for breach of contract and misrepresentation; obtained judgment in client’s favor on cross-claims and then obtained favorable settlement.
PCL Construction Services v. Pine Garage LLC. Defended claims for breach of construction contract and prosecuted counterclaims for breach of loan agreement; obtained favorable settlement.
Professional Recognition & Honors
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2016
- Selected to Washington Super Lawyers, 2010-2016
- Selected to Washington Rising Stars, 2004, 2006
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell (5.0 out of possible 5.0 peer review rating)
- 10.0 Rating on Avvo.com
Professional Associations & Leadership
- Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington
- Co-Chair, Local Rules Committee, 2010-present
- Washington State Bar Association
- TEDRA Litigation Committee, Real Property Probate and Trust Section, 2006-present
- King County Bar Association
- Judicial Screening Committee, 2006-2011
- KCBA Community Legal Services Committee, 2000-2003
- KCBA Family Law Mentor Program, 2001-2002
- KCBA Housing Justice Project, 1998-1999
- KCBA Lake City Neighborhood Legal Clinic, 1997-2000
- Mediator, King County Dispute Resolution Center, 2009-2012
- Mediator, Snohomish County Dispute Resolution Center, 2007-present
- Pro Bono Panel, US District Court, Western District of Washington, 2002-2003
- American Bar Association
Civic & Community Leadership
- University of Washington Medical Center, Palliative Care Department volunteer, 2015
- Evergreen Healthcare, hospice program volunteer, 2012-2013
- Seattle Insight Meditation Society, Board of Trustees, 2011-present
- Bright Water School
- Vice President, 2015
- Secretary, 2009-2011
- Board of Trustees, 2007-2011
- Swedish Hospital, hospice program volunteer, 2010-2011
Publications & Presentations
- Washington Litigation Overview Q&A, Practical Law, http://us.practicallaw.com/w-000-3121
- Finessing the Fine Print: Agreements to Arbitrate and Covenants not to Compete, Washington Association of Corporate Counsel, presenter, 2014
- Covering Your Bases: Practical Tips to Deal with and Avoid Litigation, Washington Association of Corporate Counsel, presenter, 2013
- Spoliation Basics for Estate Planning and Probate Lawyers, Washington State Bar Association, Real Property Probate and Trust, author, 2012
- The Art of Arbitration: A Symposium of Practice Tips, Crucial Updates, Forms and Checklists, Washington State Bar Association CLE, panelist, 2012
- A Discussion of the Proposed Amendments to the Local Civil Rules, Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington CLE, presenter and panelist, 2012
- Upcoming Changes to the Federal Rules, Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington News, Winter 2011, Fall 2010
- Rules 26 and 56 Under Federal Amendment, KCBA Bar Bulletin, March 2011
- Posthumous Conception and the Inheritance Rights of Posthumously Conceived Children, King County Bar Association Annual Probate Litigation CLE, presenter, 2006
- Panel discussion regarding alternative dispute resolution, Federal Bar Association, Western District of Washington Continuing Legal Education, moderator, 2006
- Profile of Judge Mary Yu, KCBA Bar Bulletin, author, Nov. 2000
- Stepping into Federal Court and Avoiding the Procedural Boot, Lorman Education Services, presenter, 1998
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D. magna cum laude, 1996
- University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform, 1994-1996
- The Evergreen State College, B.A., 1990
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington