Brandi has wide-ranging experience successfully litigating large, complex cases, from defending a senior executive against the largest trade secret claim asserted in Washington to prosecuting fraud, contract, and fiduciary duty claims related to the financing of major real estate development projects. She is a passionate advocate, driven to achieve outstanding results for her clients through creative problem solving and collaboration. Brandi has resolved disputes in many different forums, – including federal and state trial and appellate courts, administrative agencies, and in arbitration.
Prior to joining Savitt Bruce & Willey, Brandi practiced law in Hawaii at Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher. Brandi graduated from Boston College Law School where she was a member of the 2009 European Law Moot Court team. At the European Law Moot Court Competition in Naples, Italy, she argued in English and French to advance with her team as regional semi-finalists.
Outside the office, Brandi enjoys outdoor adventures with her husband, their young daughter, and their Samoyed.
Areas of Practice
- Contracts and Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Governance Disputes
- Employment Litigation
- Financial and Banking Litigation
- Government Defense
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
Prior Professional Experience
- Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher, Honolulu HI, 2009-2015
Asia Optical Co., Ltd. v. MicroVision, Inc. Defended publicly-traded company against tort and breach of contract claims and prosecuted conversion counterclaim in international arbitration; obtained dismissal of tort claims, demonstrated absence of merit of remaining claims against client, and obtained favorable settlement.
City of Seattle v. Kaseburg et al. Represented the City in appeal of decree of public use and necessity in eminent domain action involving Open Public Meetings Act, appearance of fairness doctrine, and constitutional claims; obtained affirmance by the Court of Appeals and denial of review by the Washington Supreme Court.
Move, Inc. v. Zillow, Inc. Represented executive defending against trade secret and employment claims in lawsuit seeking $2 billion in damages and career-ending relief; obtained summary judgment on purported trade secret document, defended at evidentiary hearing spoliation allegations, and obtained favorable settlement prior to trial.
Continental Western, Inc. v. Crump; Continental Western, Inc. v. Ohmott et al. Prosecuted trade secret theft claims against former employees and competitor; demonstrated destruction of evidence and obtained favorable settlement.
Sisley v. City of Seattle. Defended the City against Washington Public Records Act claims; succeeded on summary judgment; executed offer of judgment strategy to preclude recovery of certain attorneys’ fees.
Brown v. City of Seattle. Defended the City against Washington Public Records Act, constitutional, tort, and statutory claims; obtained early favorable settlement.
Vandeveer, et al. v. American Savings Bank. Defended federal savings and loan association against tort, statutory, and equitable claims in putative class action involving overdraft fees and related disclosure issues; filed pre-certification dispositive motion based on federal preemption; obtained favorable settlement while federal preemption appeal was pending.
Gross, et al. v. University of Hawaii, et al.; University of Hawaii v. Lexington Insurance Company. Defended state university system against putative class action regarding alleged data breaches; favorable settlement obtained after filing motion to dismiss; subsequently litigated claims on behalf of state university system against insurer for related coverage; favorable settlement obtained prior to any discovery.
Pasion v. County of Kauai, et al. Represented appointed public official facing retaliation for whistle-blower activities and prosecuted subsequent related employment claims; obtained favorable settlement.
Charles et al. v. Kapalua Bay, LLC, et al. Represented approximately forty purchasers of fractional ownership interests in a luxury development prosecuting consumer protection, tort, statutory, and equitable claims against developer, multinational hotel company, and related entities.
Complex Multiparty Real Estate and Finance Litigation. Defended claims against personal guaranty of multi-million dollar revolving construction loan; developed and prosecuted claims for corporate fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract involving approximately $40 million of debt, mezzanine, and equity financed real estate projects; obtained favorable settlement for individual and developer entity clients.
Health Care Industry Litigation. Prosecuted claims for breach of contract, breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and equitable relief regarding exclusivity clause in PPO contract; obtained favorable settlement.
Professional Recognition & Honors
- Named to Washington Rising Stars, 2016-2020
- Named to Hawaii Rising Stars, 2014, 2015
Professional Associations & Leadership
- Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington
- Associate Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Member, Diversity Law Institute
- Member, Trial Law Institute
- Federal Bar Association, Young Lawyers Delegate, Hawaii Chapter (2011-2012)
Civic & Community Leadership
- Alexander Hamilton Scholars (formerly the Alexander Hamilton Friends Association)
- Board of Directors, 2015-2016
Publications & Presentations
- Beyond Oso: Understanding, Avoiding, and Mitigating Spoliation Issues, Landslides in Washington CLE Conference, Law Seminars International, presenter, 2017
- Michele L. Stephen, Brandi B. Balanda, & Ryan Solomon, Provisional Remedies: Washington, Practical Law, http://us.practicallaw.com/w-000-6380
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 2009
- European Law Moot Court Team, Regional Semi-Finalist (Naples, Italy)
- University of Washington, B.A., International Studies, 2004
- Phi Beta Kappa
- United States District Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- United States District Court, District of Hawaii